In today’s video, I talk about my experience how I told my boyfriend I have and eating disorder…two times :/…and I share how it happened, how it felt, what I said and what happened then. I hope it will give you encourage to open up to someone too. You do not have to go through it alone.
Eating disorders thrive in secrecy. The more you are alone with your eating disorder without anybody knowing what you are going through the more in a trap you are. This is exactly what your eating disorder wants, to stay in that comfortable zone where it can just keep on dominating over you. But if you open up to a loved one or a close friend or family member it is the first step to recovery.
Here are some points of why opening up about your eating disorder is a good idea:
- You can have support and someone to talk to.
- You take power off from your eating disorder into your own hands.
- You may feel a huge relief if you share it with someone. It takes the weight off your shoulders.
- A problem shared is a problem halved.
- You feel better when you are not lying anymore.
- The pressure is off from being perfect.
- You can be who you truly are without any mask.